29 Ott Keep your bike in good shape
Posted at 22:12h in Altrui
Five things you should never do to your bike
We offer you some simple tips for a better maintenance of your two-wheeled companion.
- Neglect cleaning. It is not a mere aesthetic issue: the bike needs to be kept clean, especially after a ride in which it has received tons of mud. With a light rinse, you can remove dirt and prevent it from sticking to the frame or the transmission of your bike. Failure to do so will accelerate its wear and, consequently, shorten its life. It is also not advisable to use high pressure water, as some components could be damaged.
- Lock your bicycle improperly. Even if you think it’s going to be just a moment… don’t leave the bicycle on the street without the adequate protection. Get a good rigid padlock (better a U-shaped) and anchor the bike to a fixed element, never to a tree. This will drastically reduce the possibility of suffering a theft. Believe us: it is something no one wants to live.
- Not checking the tire pressure. There are those who neglect a fundamental element like this. Check if you have the correct pressure is a must before every departure. It is convenient not to go over, neither by default nor by excess. The first will increase the risk of suffering a puncture and increase the effort of each stroke. The second will expose you to a greater possibility of suffering falls and will make you notice in excess the irregularities of the route.
- Forget maintenance. It’s true: a bicycle is not a car. But that does not mean you can forget about it. Every component of the bicycle requires your attention so that each trip can be an unforgettable experience, and not one more step towards a possible breakdown. And although many of the maintenance tasks can be done by anyone with a simple kit, it is also advisable that, once in a while, a specialist should take care of your partner.
- Support it anywhere (or face down). It’s a classic: You make a stop on the road and do not have a wall to rest your bike for a few minutes, which leads you to rest it precariously on a curb or put it upside down. Two bulk errors, you can break the changes.